Love to experiment with at-home hair color treatments?
Then you’ve probably heard about Clairol’s Jazzing hair color at one point or another. And if you haven’t yet, well, this article will tell you all about it and why it’s got to be the next big thing on your hair coloring bucket list.
For starters, it may seem game-changing (it is!) but surprisingly, this hair color product has been on the market for four decades now. That’s right! The Jazzing hair color is yet another amazing product of the wonderful ’80s!
Here are more facts and trivia about the Jazzing hair color by Clairol, including how to use it:
What is Jazzing hair color?
This hair color is a leading artificial hair color treatment by the Clairol brand, is a semi-permanent or temporary coloring product that produces a vibrant yet sheer, shiny yet natural-looking color result on all types of hair textures and conditions ranging from straight to curly, and virgin hair to heavily treated and bleached, permed, or relaxed hair.
Now, since it’s not a permanent coloring cream, it doesn’t necessitate the use of a developer, and it’s completely ammonia free, meaning, it’s perfectly safe and won’t cause any sort of damage to your hair.
Of course, you can also lighten your hair prior to coloring if you want more vibrant results, but expect some chemical damage.
One of the many great things about Jazzing hair color is that it comes in wide availability of shades, ranging from clear to black, blonde to red, and more. Some of the more “fun” colors include fuschia plum, bold gold, racy wine, and jet grape.
You can check the Clairol website or this Amazon link for the complete list of colors.
Now, you might be wondering what the clear shade is for. Well, it’s a great way to add gloss to your hair post-coloring. It works great regardless of what hair color brand you use, too! Not only that, but you can also use the clear shade to dilute the other colors if you want a more mellow, pastel-like color result.
One thing you need to understand is that since this hair color product does not contain any peroxide, it won’t lift your natural hair color in any way. In other words, you can’t go from a dark color to a light one, like, say, brown to blonde.
How to use Jazzing hair color
As we have mentioned earlier, this product is both a temporary and a semi-permanent hair color product, and the results (aka how long the color lasts) vary depending on how you use it.
Application process for temporary results
- The first step is to wash your hair, making sure it’s squeaky clean – this is to ensure that the dye is fully absorbed by your hair shaft rather than stuck in the dirt, oil, and buildup on your hair.
- Towel dry your hair until it’s damp, then rub some protective cream along your hairline in order to protect your skin against the dye and keep the color application relatively even. Remember, this hair dye is quite tough to scrub off of your skin, so make sure to rub in that protective cream well.
- Apply the dye on your hair, section by section. For best and most even results, start by the nape of your hair, slowly going upwards and outwards until you reach your hairline.
- Let the dye process and settle for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, wash the excess product off and shampoo your hair as usual. Pat dry with a towel. Alternatively, you can also air dry your hair, or speed things up with a hair dryer.
This process is relatively fast and easy, and even as temporary hair color, it should last for more than one wash, giving you a few days of poppin’ hair color.
Pro-tip: make sure that you properly towel dry your hair so it’s damp rather than too dry or too wet. Otherwise, the dye won’t adhere properly and you’ll get patchy results.
Application process for semi-permanent results
The procedure for applying this hair color on your locks if you want to make the hair dye last longer is largely the same as the process above. Wash your hair, dry it with a towel, use some protective cream along your hairline, and apply the hair dye on your hair, doing small, even sections at a time.
Now for the magic…
- Grab a disposable plastic shower cap and cover your hair with it, making sure that there are no loose strands escaping.
- Let the hair dye sit for about 30 minutes, helping the process along by heating your hair with a blow dryer set on the highest heat setting. Even better if you have a bonnet hair dryer, since that can reach higher temperatures and really penetrate your hair shaft.
- After the recommended time, wash and shampoo your hair until all the excess product is washed off. Style your hair however you want.
The reason why this makes the hair color last longer is due to the heat exposure from the dryer. This means that your new hair color can last for a few good weeks. And, if you want to prolong things, use cool water or dry shampoo to clean your hair. Try not to condition your hair either, since that can make the dye fade faster.
Keep in mind, however, that if your hair has had a relaxing treatment recently, the use of heat styling tools can substantially damage your hair.
Overview: is Jazzing hair color worth it?
The simple truth is, Clairol’s Jazzing hair color is an amazing hair color product that not only produces amazingly vibrant shades of blue, black, purple, pink, red, and golden blonde.
It also works surprisingly well in blending gray strands so they are significantly less noticeable – all without using toxic chemicals like peroxide and ammonia (just use the darker shades for adequate gray blending).
Aside from that, there are so many other ways to use this hair color. For instance, you can refresh and liven up your permanent hair color in between treatments (since we all know that permanent hair colors aren’t really permanent) by simply applying a similar shade on your hair every once in a few weeks.
Finally, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can go crazy and try a new color as soon as the first one fades out in a few week’s time, or if you want to express your inner artist, try as many colors as you can at once!