Adding bouncy waves and fluffy curls to straight hair is for the lads as much as it is for the ladies. The opposite is also true- you can straighten your hair to change up your look!
There are also many ways to go about this, both temporary and permanent solutions. You can use a blow dryer, flat iron, relaxer, or natural alternatives that won’t damage your hair and make it frizzy. We’ll talk about all of your options below, so you can find out the best ways on how to straighten men’s hair.
Conventional methods to straighten men’s hair
Want easy and effective methods to straighten your hair? Here are some of them:
Do a blowout
- Wash and condition hair so it’s clean and moisturized. This will eliminate grime and buildup while also softening your hair, making it easy to comb. Pat your hair dry using a towel. Detangle your curls with your fingers.
- Apply a coin-sized blob of Viva Naturals coconut oil or Cliganic argan oil for extra moisturization and added protection against heat damage. Pour the oil on your palm, rub your hands together, then run the oil through your strands from roots to tips.
- Comb your hair all the way down to the roots to straighten it as best as you can while preventing breakage and getting rid of knots and tangles. Work in sections, and use a hair dryer if you need to. The tighter the curls the wider your comb should be.
- While combing each section, blow dry the hair at the medium heat setting, with the dryer following the comb as you move it along your strands from roots to tips. Use a concentrator to direct the airflow efficiently, and position the hair dryer about 1 inch away from your strands as you go.
- Work quickly and don’t stay in one section too long, or the hot air will damage your hair. Start with the section nearest your nape, going upwards to the hair on top. Do this until all your hair has been straightened.
- Finally, apply a smoothing serum to reduce frizz while increasing shine. Do this by putting a small amount of the serum into your palms, rubbing your hands together, and massaging the serum from your hair ends all the way down to the roots.
Use a flat iron
- Wash and condition hair before straightening. Make sure that your hair is completely clean and free of residue and buildup, since you don’t want these sticking on your flat iron or clinging onto your hair to be burnt to a crisp.
- Dry hair thoroughly so it doesn’t experience heat damage from the flat iron. Do this by air drying or with the use of a hair dryer, making sure that it’s completely dry.
- Take a generous amount of CHI 44 heat protectant and work this into your strands, starting from the roots, going all the way to the tips. Apply it to your entire hair so your strands are protected against heat damage.
- Get the flat iron and a comb. Turn the iron on its lowest setting, or around 248 °F. Gather a small hair section, about 1 inch wide, with your comb, and run the flat iron along this section of hair, starting from the roots. Use light tension only so as not to pull clumps of hair out while ironing your hair.
- Work your way to another section of hair, repeating the process until all of your hair is completely straight. Make sure not to leave the flat iron on any specific hair section for longer than 1 to 2 seconds so as not to burn your hair. There should not be any curls or waves visible once you finish.
- Style your hair with a comb, as well as a styling gel if you want.
Apply a relaxing treatment
- Don’t shampoo and condition (or apply any product) on your hair 2 to 3 days before your relaxing treatment, since doing this might irritate the scalp or leave micro-abrasions, which will then burn once the treatment is applied. When combing your hair, don’t go near the scalp.
- Make sure to read and follow the instructions on the product label before applying the hair relaxer, in order to prevent serious damage that can arise from using the relaxer incorrectly. Better yet, leave the next steps to a professional.
- Mix all the relaxer chemicals together in a cup, making sure to wear rubber gloves in order to protect your skin. Mix the ingredients well until you get a white paste with a smooth consistency.
- Use an applicator brush to apply the relaxer. Take a wide-toothed comb, section your hair, and brush the relaxer starting from the ends of the hair, moving towards the roots and edges (never start from the roots). Keep doing this for every hair section until your entire hair is covered with the relaxer.
- Let the relaxer sit for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on what the product instruction specifies. If you get any irritation or extreme burning, wash the product off your hair immediately with a generous amount of Nexxus clarifying shampoo. Remember to only use clarifying or neutralizing shampoos (unless the relaxer comes with a shampoo already) to fully wash off the relaxer.
- Condition your hair then rinse off with cold water. Pat your hair dry with a towel and comb your hair. It should appear straight as it dries. This will last for about 6 to 8 weeks.
Natural methods to straighten men’s hair
Don’t want all the chemicals and all the heat that may damage your hair? Here are effective natural alternatives that you can opt for to straighten hair:
Straighten hair as it dries
- Sometimes, the simplest method is the most effective. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual, then once you’re done, brush your hair every five minutes using a wide-toothed comb to help it get straighter as it dries. You can also do this sitting in front of a fan.
- Comb your hair back while it’s still wet, then secure with bobby pins. Afterwards, wrap your hair in a towel. This will help straighten your hair before going to sleep, and it will also reduce frizz.
- If your hair is long, take some large rollers and roll your hair with these to help straighten it. Do this right after showering. Wait for your hair to dry completely before taking the rollers out.
Spray with milk and honey
- Mix together ½ cup of milk and ½ cup of water. Combine them in an empty spray bottle that you will use to apply the mixture on your hair later on. For best results, use coconut milk, almond milk, or cow’s milk. Shake the contents of the bottle vigorously. The milk will strengthen and straighten hair due to the high content of proteins and vitamin E.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and shake the bottle once more until all the ingredients are fully integrated. The honey will give your hair a natural sheen, you can also add a drop of almond oil or Viva Naturals coconut oil to help reduce frizz.
- Spray the mixture onto your hair, thoroughly wetting it with the solution, and making sure to spray the roots and ends of your strands. Afterwards, work the mixture into your scalp using your fingertips.
- Comb your hair to straighten it, starting from the roots and working your way down the hair shaft. This will help the mixture penetrate your hair better. It will relax and nourish wavy hair, but it won’t completely straighten kinky or curly hair.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for 30 minutes to allow the vitamins and nutrients from the milk and honey to straighten and soften your strands. You can opt to drape a towel over your shoulders or put on a shower cap to prevent getting any drip of the mixture on and around you.
- Rinse with cold water, making sure to get rid of any milk and honey that weren’t absorbed by your hair. Comb with a wide-toothed comb while your hair is still wet, getting rid of all the knots and curls. Let your hair dry naturally or use a hair dryer.
Massage with castor and soybean oils
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of Cliganic castor oil and 1 tablespoon of Well’s soybean oil. Mix them well to fully incorporate the two oils. This will help straighten your hair while reducing frizz.
- Pour the oil mixture into a pan to slightly heat the oil just until it’s warm. Alternatively, put it in the microwave and heat for 5 to 10 seconds. Warming the oil makes it less viscous, meaning it’s going to be easier to handle.
- Take a bit of the oil, pouring it onto your palms and rubbing your hands together. Rub your hands and fingers through your hair in order to spread the oil all over your hair and scalp. Make sure that you are able to cover each strand for a more even look. Apply just enough of the oils to fully saturate your hair without making it look greasy.
- Get a towel, wet it slightly with warm water, and use it to cover your hair for about 30 minutes. This will help the oil mixture seep into your hair follicles.
- Remove the towel then rinse your hair with cold water, making sure that you remove as much of the excess oil as possible.
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb to get rid of all the knots and tangles. Don’t dry your hair out with a towel; instead, let it dry naturally to prevent it from curling up or getting frizzy.
Use celery leaf extracts
- Get some celery and chop off the stalks. Take 10 to 12 celery leaves, place them in a food processor, and wait until you get a pasty consistency. The celery leaves will help straighten your hair and improve its health.
- Combine the celery paste with ¼ cup of water, and pour the mixture into a spray bottle, using a muslin cloth to act as a filter and remove any lumps. Shake thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and even.
- Leave the mixture to sit overnight. This will help the water and celery to mix better, and will also give you a thicker solution that won’t be too drippy.
- Spray the thickened solution all over your hair, saturating your strands fully until your entire head is wet.
- Take a wide-toothed comb and run it through your strands, making sure to eliminate knots and curls as you go. Keep combing your hair until it appears straight.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for 30 minutes. This will give the nutrients plenty of time to soak into your strands. Drape a towel over your shoulders if you don’t want any of the solution dripping all over you.
- Rinse off with cold water, making sure to agitate your strands and scalp with your fingers and continuing to run cold water until all of the mixtures is washed out.
- Leave your hair to air dry so it doesn’t curl up or get frizzy. Alternatively, you can use a t-shirt to pat your hair dry with, since it’s gentler than a towel.
As you can see, there are many different options when it comes to how to straighten men’s hair. You can opt for easy conventional methods or try gentler and more forgiving natural alternatives. You also have the option of straightening your hair by yourself, or hiring the help of a professional to achieve the best results. It’s all up to you!